Sunday 25 December 2011

Scripting or Writing?

After reading a few english novels, i've realized something about myself, about my way of writing.

These writers, they write according to... I really don't know how to put it into words. I mean, they describe not just the settings or storyline, but also unnecessary details which are related to the scene that was happening in the part of the story. REALLY DETAILED details you know. They get the readers to understand every single thing by giving examples or describing information which relates to the message they are portraying.

That's when i realize, mine was utterly different. My way of writing is according to how people should watch in the movie. I tell only the stories they can see and imagine. I don't often tell the description of a character's feelings or thinking; the details which people wouldn't know or wouldn't be shown if you are watching a movie.

Why? well first of all, i don't like wasting my time telling all those, because i prefer the readers to have their own wild guess on empathizing the character's situation or feelings. I want them to think of what's going in actually and taunt them with curiosity. Second of all, i like the mystery of getting the readers to actually feel curious. If i inserted a lot of descriptions on this and that, then the readers will just read for the sake of reading.

And then i began to wonder, is my way of writing a novel... Normal? Is it ok for me to write this way? or is it wrong?

And then i began to realize the reason i wrote that way was because, i was too used of writing scripts during my teenage and childhood times that it influenced my way of writing when i'm writing novels as well.

I wrote scripts during my younger times because that's the only easiest way for a kid to get a story out of her head. Scripts don't need plenty details. Scripts just needed dialogues and movements or whatever description necessary to be shown in a movie. I don't need to put in a lot of detailed thinking or feelings of a character because the readers will do that on their own. They will guess and have their own judgements based on what they see from the movie.

So... Does this mean i actually have no talent to write novels whatsoever?

Does this means, my passion is not actually in writing novels or books, but writing scripts instead?

But bookstores don't sell scripts. They sell books and novels.

And my story is a fantasy genre, which is unlikely appropriate in the film industry in my country. If i'm going to propose my script to any movie producers, they will throw it in the thrash bin.

But when i write them in a novel as a book, it is too much of a script-like story rather than a true novel like how the other books are.

So... What is it that i should do now? What is my passion? is it writing novels or scripts?

And when will i finish this bloody fantasy novel of mine????!! >:(

No comments:

Post a Comment